Substrate’s Sacramento Street Bridge Replacement – completed on June 15, 2022
Vallejo’s Sacramento Street Bridge Replacement project was completed on June 15, 2022, which commemorates the replacement of the old Structural Steel Navy structure that was built in 1913 over the Mare Island Railroad on Sacramento Street.
Vallejo, California (PRUnderground) August 13th, 2022
Vallejo’s Sacramento Street Bridge Replacement project was completed on June 15, 2022, which commemorates the replacement of the old Structural Steel Navy structure that was built in 1913 over the Mare Island Railroad on Sacramento Street. This marks the end of the 15-month construction that included some project firsts including:
- An intricate underground network of Homeless Tunnels with many tentacles.
- Large Underground Voids and Chambers.
Still with these challenges, this project was completed on budget.
Substrate provided comprehensive construction management services for the Sacramento Street Bridge Replacement for the City of Vallejo. Substrate provided the Resident Engineer/Structure’s Representative, and Senior Inspector and oversaw the entire project from pre-construction to post-construction. The CM team also consisted of sub-consultants Consolidated Engineering Labs, who provided material and source inspection; and Verux, Inc who provided SWPPP QA inspections.
The major elements of work for this project were the following:
- Project Cost: Approximately $9 million (completed within 10% contingency)
- Project Duration: 15 months
- Bridge Type: Cast-in-Place Post-Tensioned Slab Bridge (29 tendons)
- Total Concrete Quantity Placed in Bridge: 1486 CYDs (237,760 #)
- Foundation: (23) 42” Diameter Cast-in-Drilled Hole Wet Piles 54 feet Deep
- Retaining Walls (Tot 3): Soldier Pile Ground Anchor Walls with 3 Levels of Tiebacks and Concrete Facing
- Replaced and upgraded City Waterlines, Storm Drains and Sewer System
- Paved 4 City Streets: Sacramento, Farragut, Illinois, and Yolo. Total HMA: 1605 Tons
- Over 2000 LF of new Sidewalk, Curb & Gutter
14 Private TCE Parcels: Work included Driveways, Stairs, Planters, Walkways, Retaining Walls, and Drainage
- PROJECT: Sacramento Street Bridge Replacement
- LOCATION: Vallejo, CA
- OWNER: City of Vallejo
- PUBLIC WORKS DIRECTOR: Melissa Tigbao, PE
- DESIGNER: Dewberry
- CONTRACTOR: Gordon N Ball, Inc
- CM Team: Substrate, Inc
- COST: $9 million
- FIRST WORKING DAY: March 15, 2021
- COMPLETION DATE: June 15, 2022
“Gordon N Ball and Substrate had to work closely together to deliver this challenging project. Though this project had only informal Partnering, it very well can be a case study for Partnering for a project of it size.” – Sunny Jhutti, PE, SE
About Substrate, Inc
Substrate, Inc is a unique Bay Area based firm providing full service structural engineering and construction management services to bridge, building, and roadway clients.